Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Going Dark (or is it Dork?)

I deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts. The entertainment value of stalking old acquaintances and playing micro-celebrity helps pass the time, but I don't want to pass the time. It's the equivalent of a solo session in RockBand. Fake instruments, fake performance, fake human interaction, and another hour of life slips away. I'm not passing judgment, but for me, hiding from messy humanity and practicing until I'm good enough at being human to actually be human is not healthy.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll keep the blog. I wish I had more to say, but I enjoy writing. I worry about offending family or coworkers on Facebook/Twitter. Those sites feel like an extension of home and work and thus I can't quite be my socially unacceptable self. Here I'm ranting in an (almost) empty padded room of my own construction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed you missing from fb so i tracked you down. Personnally i think that old friends are real friends that they put you back in touch with your heritage (my experience), so what you say made me a little said. In any case, keep posted on the music etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I reactivated Facebook just now in order to harvest a few e-mail addresses (including yours) that I realized I don't have anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete